Monday, August 27, 2018

Living Your Theology

Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become the sons of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them. John 12:35-36

Your theology must work itself out, exhibiting itself in your most common everyday relationships. Our Lord said, “…unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20). In other words, you must be more moral than the most moral person you know. You may know all about the doctrine of sanctification, but are you working it out in the everyday issues of your life? (Chambers-emphasis mine)

Being a Christian is hard. It is hard to keep loving people who act so unlovable. It is hard to continue to forgive. Relationships are hard. Jamie and I were watching a movie last night. (Before We Go) There was this great quote in the movie that resonated with me. The main characters of the movie stopped briefly on the streets of Manhattan to speak with an old man who invited them into his apartment. He spoke to the woman about relationships. Here is the quote: “There is no perfect. There will always be struggle. You just need to choose who you wanna struggle with.”

I don’t know exactly where I am going with this. I guess I want to say that it is so easy to let darkness overtake me when I feel wronged. When I feel as though I have the right to be angry. When the enemy whispers into my ear that I have made the wrong choice regarding with whom to struggle. It’s a lie. The enemy is a destroyer. He wants to destroy destroy destroy. That’s his job. That is why I must continue to choose to walk in the light and keep loving and forgiving. I must live it out while interacting with my husband and children. Coworkers, siblings, neighbors. 

4 comments:

  1. Good food for me to chew on.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re welcome. You know...it’s strange but I can only just barely remember writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A balancing truth that I am trying to learn how to apply: Real love is humble. Humility always puts the other's person's interests ahead of its own. BUT this does not mean being a doormat, because it is not in another person's best interest for me to indulge his/her wrong behavior. So, it can actually be an outworking of humility to engage in a conflict when someone close to us is behaving badly. The litmus is whose interest you are concerned for. If I am concerned about my own rights, my own feelings, and whether I am getting a fair shake, it is not humility. If I am concerned that the other person is hampered by habits of sin that, yes, affect me, but more broadly affect that person and that person's ability to live an abundant life, then I may choose to engage in a conflict, even though it will be painful for me, in hope of a restorative outcome for a number of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SMALL BUSINESS PHONES FOR ORGANIZATIONS - Every Business Phone Service needs telecommunication lines to communicate efficiently and effectively. Over the years, business enterprises have been using analogue systems for telecommunications.

    ReplyDelete