Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Strictest Discipline...i.e. Cutting off My Right Hand

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭13-16‬ NIV)

This is not really the scripture in Chambers devotional today...but I found it when I looked at the scriptures that was in the devotional. I decided to look at Matthew chapter 5 in its entirety. I've come to the conclusion that the light in me does not shine for the world to see. It is under a bowl. It is hidden. It is not on a hill. I want that to change. I need the Holy Spirit to be living in me. In order to do that, there needs to be some changes. I need to get into the Word of God and spend a greater amount of time in prayer. I have been so impressed with the testimony of our friend Louie. He was an incredible man of God. One thing that was very clear was that he spent time in prayer. Serious prayer. He also loved others. Again and again at his memorial service a few weeks ago, people stood up to say how Louie had impacted their lives because of Jesus Christ.

I don't love others very well. I can't love them on my own strength. I've come to this conclusion in the past...and nothing has changed. I keep on the same useless path. This time, there needs to be a change. A profound change.

Here is today's scripture.

And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. (‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭30‬ NIV)

There are many things that are perfectly legitimate, but if you are going to concentrate on God you cannot do them. Your right hand is one of the best things you have, but Jesus says that if it hinders you in following His precepts, then “cut it off.” The principle taught here is the strictest discipline or lesson that ever hit humankind.

I need to figure out what I need to cut off. I think it is facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment