Saturday, June 17, 2017

Judging Others

17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”"
 Romans 2: 17-24

Gems from today's devotional:

  • The Holy Spirit is the only one in the proper position to criticize, and He alone is able to show what is wrong without hurting and wounding. 
  • It is impossible to enter into fellowship with God when you are in a critical mood. 

Interestingly enough, sometimes I find that my criticism is directed towards myself.

  • Jesus says that as His disciple you should cultivate a temperament that is never critical. This will not happen quickly but must be developed over a span of time. You must constantly beware of anything that causes you to think of yourself as a superior person.
  • Stop having a measuring stick for other people. There is always at least one more fact, which we know nothing about, in every person’s situation.

I have very little to add to this devotional today. Sometimes I have many of my own thoughts...but not today. I admit to being critical of others at times....and it is wrong. I haven't walked in their shoes. I am so thankful for the grace of God with my own blunders and mistakes. Chambers ends his devional with the following statement. My prayer is that I can one day say the same with absolute sincerity.
  •  have never met a person I could despair of, or lose all hope for, after discerning what lies in me apart from the grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment