Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 12-His

John 17:6 I have revealed you to those who you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.

I don't belong to myself, or my husband or...anyone. I belong to God. I am His.

If I truly belong to Him, then...I should act accordingly. I should give over everything to Him because it really is His to begin with. Piggybacking on yesterday's devotional, why on earth would I ever dare to clutch a blessing to myself?

Yesterday I was in the car with my teenage daughter. She wanted to go to Wendy's to eat. I told her that might be a nice idea and left it at that. However, by the time we ran a few errands, I realized that we would not have time to go to Wendy's and told her that we would be just going home. I needed to drive to Buffalo by a certain time and going to Wendy's just wasn't realistic. She was quite disappointed and said, "You owe me a lunch!" I told her that I did not "owe" her anything. I reminded her that as her parent, everything I give her is a blessing. Everything she "owns" is really because her father and I have given it to her.

I belong to God. Everything I "own" or am able to do is because of His blessings. I should be grateful and thankful...and act in a way that is pleasing to Him. I am His daughter and represent Him because...I am His. In the same way that I want my own daughter to please me by her actions in this world. I don't want her to misrepresent me with shame because she is "mine" (that being said loosely since she actually belongs to God).

Chambers puts it simply:
Be entirely His.

It is also reassuring to me that I do belong to Him and that He is ultimately responsible for me.

Photo: My two daughters walking on Charlotte Pier, Rochester, NY

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get a chance to read today's devotional ahead of time and therefore have not had the day to "chew" on these thoughts. I am , however, enjoying those I do catch and thinking on them along with you.

    ReplyDelete