Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Teaching of Adversity

What an absolutley timely and beautiful message was Oswald Chambers devotional today. It is something that I have been thinking a lot about. And now here it is!

John 16:33  
 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Chambers goes on to talk about how it is necessary to go through trials in order to grow stronger in the walk with Him. Yes! Yes it is! I know this is what happened to me 28 years ago...and it will continue to happen as I seek to grow in Christ. It was honestly the most pivotal time in my life! It has shaped who I am in Christ in a way that no other experience in my life has. For that reason I am thankful for the trial I went through...although I still have residual pain from it. That residual pain serves as a reminder that I must put Jesus Christ absolutley first in my life.

The following is copied and posted from today's devotional.

The typical view of the Christian life is that it means being delivered from all adversity. But it actually means being delivered in adversity, which is something very different...God does not give us overcoming life— He gives us life as we overcome. The strain of life is what builds our strength. If there is no strain, there will be no strength. Are you asking God to give you life, liberty, and joy? He cannot, unless you are willing to accept the strain. And once you face the strain, you will immediately get the strength. Overcome your own timidity and take the first step. Then God will give you nourishment— “To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life…” (Revelation 2:7). If you completely give of yourself physically, you become exhausted. But when you give of yourself spiritually, you get more strength. God never gives us strength for tomorrow, or for the next hour, but only for the strain of the moment. Our temptation is to face adversities from the standpoint of our own common sense. But a saint can “be of good cheer” even when seemingly defeated by adversities, because victory is absurdly impossible to everyone, except God.

Wow! This truly helps me in the perspective I have so recently adopted! I had decided that it all happened according to God's will and that He had a plan in it....but now it's even better! I feel privileged to have been chosen to be entrusted to endure such incredible hardship!

Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment